Health Literacy Interest Group
A collaboration among the Center of Excellence in Women's Health, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, School of Medicine, the Colleges of Nursing, Pharmacy, Health, and Department of Communication to meet the challenge of increasing the awareness of health literacy in Utah.
Health Literacy is "the degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions" according to the Institute of Medicine.
The action plan seeks to engage organizations, professionals, policymakers, communities, individuals, and families in a linked, multisector effort to improve health literacy. The plan is based on the principles that (1) everyone has the right to health information that helps them make informed decisions and (2) health services should be delivered in ways that are understandable and beneficial to health, longevity, and quality of life. The vision informing this plan is of a society that:
- Provides everyone with access to accurate and actionable health information
- Delivers person-centered health information and services
- Supports lifelong learning and skills to promote good health
- Introduction to Health Literacy University of Utah Health Sciences. 2013.
A collaborative training between University of Utah School of Medicine, College of Health, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, and Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library. (PowerPoint video, 80.8 MB)
- "Prescription for Information: Addressing Health Information Literacy!"
A health information literacy tutorial for health care providers emphasizing the importance of health literacy, the challenges patients face in understanding medical terminology and the impact that low health literacy has on patient care. Health information resources and strategies, as well as health literacy services provided by medical librarians are also described. The tutorial is free, but requires registration.
- Health Information Literacy Curriculum
Two Powerpoint slide shows for health care professionals to learn more about health literacy:
- The keynote speaker is Andrew Pleasant, Ph.D, Health Literacy and Research Director, Canyon Ranch Institute, and nationally known Health Literacy expert.
- National Action Plan to Improve Literacy (pdf invitation)
- When: May 4, 2011
- Time: 1:00pm to 2:30pm
- Where: HSEB 4100B and 4100C
- Faculty, staff and students are welcome
- When: March 17, 2011
- Time: 10 am to 11 am
- Where: HSEB 4100B and 4100C
April 6 - 8, 2009: Health Literacy Seminar & Workshops - University of Utah. April, 2009 Conference flyer.
- Featuring Dr. Barry Weiss, an expert in health literacy.
- The objectives of the conference are to improve health care providers awareness of the issue and its impact on patient outcomes.
How long does it take to assess literacy skills in clinical practice? Johnson K, Weiss BD. J Am Board Fam Med. 2008 May-Jun;21(3):211-4. [PubMed] [free fulltext pdf]
- Workshop Presentations:
Academic Value of Health Literacy [PowerPoint]
- Conference Videos. (University of Utah only.)
- Planning Documents
Group Meeting Minutes
- Minutes are limited to University of Utah affiliates.